Mar 16, 2016

Hanging Durock protection on ceiling over the wood burning stove.

A quick post about ceiling protection above the wood burning Kuuma stove. According to the instructions for installation, I needed to have 2 half inch Durock layers of protection with a 2” air gap between them. Originally, I was going to use 4 half inch pieces of scrap Durock for spacers to give me the 2” air gap. In the end, what I decided to do is to place 2 2x4s across the ceiling joists. That gave me a solid surface for attaching the last layer of Durock, but they only made up for 1.5 inch air gap. I then added one more half inch Durock spacer over the 2x4 followed by the full sheet of protection Durock. Now that whole thing was solid and looked good with the appropriate 2” air gap.

2x4s to support final layer of Durock above the wood burning stove.
2x4s to support final layer of Durock above the wood burning stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments, ideas, questions, and suggestions!